Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins

These muffins were delicious, and did not last long in my house. I took a few to school to give to a classmate and she said they were excellent. These came together quickly, and would freeze well if I had any leftover. Dan worked from home the day that I made these, so I'm sure that was part of the reason that they went so quickly. Or its because I have a weakness for baked goods, something that I should work harder at overcoming.


1 cup rolled oats (I use oatmeal)
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Grease and flour a muffin pan, or use paper liners.
3.In a small bowl, combine oats and buttermilk, and let stand 5 minutes.
4.In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
5.In a large bowl, beat together the egg, oil, brown sugar and vanilla.
6. Blend in the oat mixture. 7. Stir in the flour mixture, just until moistened.
8. Fold in strawberries.
9. Fill muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Yield: 16 muffins

No comments: