Saturday, July 18, 2009

BBQ Sauce


I would like to say that I chose to make Saint Louis style sauce because I'm from Saint Louis, however that wouldn't be completely true, I chose it because I had all of the ingredients on hand. Either way this sauce is great, and I've already made it twice, and have a bottle of it in the fridge. From now on I plan to make our own sauce, not only does it taste better but we do not eat it enough (at home) and I regularly have to toss out half empty bottles. So far I've made put this sauce on chicken for Dan and Quorn "chicken" for myself. St. Louis Barbecue Sauce Source: http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/r/bl80929a.htm Background information: St. Louis Barbecue Sauce is thinner and has more of a tangy flavor than its Kansas City cousin. Being at the crossroads St. Louis style barbecue has many influences, so there are a number of ways of making this style sauce.

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1 c ketchup
4 T water
4 T apple cider vinegar
4 T. brown sugar
4 ½ tsp. yellow mustard
1 ½ tsp. onion powder
1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. cayenne (less if you don't want it to be spicy)


Preparation:
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat.

2. Stirring occasionally and simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Sauce should be thin, but not watery. Allow to cool.

4. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.

5. Sauce is better if allow to sit for a day. (Personally I think it taste the same, we always eat some of it the first day that I make it.)

No comments: