Thursday, July 10, 2008

Arroz con gandules


Arroz con gandules (Rice with pigeon peas)

This dish has become a staple in our house and was a staple for Dan when he was growing up. I'm suprised that I have not blogged about it before. I'm also suprised that we have not made it for my parents yet, so I jumped on the chance to make it for the 4th when my mom said she wanted pork for dinner. We always make enough to have leftovers, and I often eat it as a meal itself because its so good.


Ingredients:
1 ½ c White rice
half a can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and/or
half a can gandules (pigeon peas)
Sazon Seasoning (half packet, found in the Latin section)
½ c. diced ham (optional)
2 TB- 3TB. sofritio/recaito found in the Latin freezer section
Adobo to taste (a Latin seasoning salt)
1 TB. olive oil

Directions:
Rinse rice 2-3 times to remove some of the starch
Add 2 ¾ c. water assuming the rice retained app. ¼ c
Add Adobo, sofritio/recaito, sazon, and oil
Heat at ¾ power, bring to a boil, wait about 12 mins. For water level to just dip below level of rice, the surface will bubble and the rice will have dimples
Immediately remove from heat, turn heat to low, turn rice 2-3 times after adding the remaining ingredients,
Cover and allow to cook for 15- 20 mins (until rice is tender)

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Okay... did you happen to look in my shopping cart yesterday at the store? I bought a can of gandules to make this dish in the coming week! It looks great and now I'm hungry...