Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Skyline Chili




I use to eat something similar when I was a waitress in college minus the meat sauce. So when I found this recipe on Delicious Meliscious blog I knew I had to make it. I made it vegetarian and to half the recipe. Also even though I halved the recipe it still makes a ton, thankfully it freezes well. To see the orginal recipe and to check out Melissa's great blog click this link: http://deliciousmeliscious.blogspot.com/.

Ingredients:
24 oz vegetarian beef crumbles (2 bags of Morning Star Crumbles)
2 c. water
1 lg. onions, chopped (leave small amount aside to top chili before eating)
2 (16 oz.) kidney beans
16 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 tbsp. chili powder or more
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate squares
3/4 tsp. salt
2 drops Tabasco sauce

Directions:
In an 8 quart kettle combine hamburger, water and onions; simmer for 30 minutes. Then add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 or 3 hours, uncovered. Serve with steamed buns, hot dogs, onions and cheese or serve over spaghetti noodles, onions and cheese.


2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I don't think I've ever had really good/authentic Skyline Chili but I'd definitely take some of this! Looks great :)

Melissa said...

Awesome! How did you like it? I just took some of my batch out of the freezer to a BBQ on the weekend and we had cheese coneys with it.

I'm so excited I have a link in your blog! Thank you! lol.