Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cream of Mushroom Soup

I also made this for Thanksgiving this year (what can I say, I'm a blog slacker). Coming from someone who does not normally like mushrooms this soup is pretty good. I made the soup to replace the cream of mushroom soup (can) that my mom's broccoli casserole calls for. Unfortunately my family does not like change when it comes with there "favorites" therefore if I make this soup again it will only be for myself and Dan. Oh well, at least I tried to get them to eat outside of the box (or in this case, the can).



Cream of Mushroom Soup:
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/006133cream_of_mushroom_soup.php

Ingredients:
1 pound regular white mushrooms, cleaned, quartered or sliced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp minced shallots
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups chicken stock (I used vegetable)
1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbsp water
Minced parsley for garnish

1 In a food processor, coarsely chop mushrooms and lemon juice.
2 Melt butter in (4-5 quart) sauce pan and lightly sauté shallots on medium heat. Add mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf, sauté over moderate heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid that is released from the mushrooms disappears.
3 Add salt, pepper, cream and chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4 Add cornstarch and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Correct seasoning and add more lemon juice to taste.
Serves 4

1 comment:

Katie said...

oooh, Kim! I want to try this one!