Wednesday, January 7, 2009

German Chocolate Cake

I made this cake last summer for my dad's birthday. I attempted to make the coconut pecan icing, but burnt it when I walked away to check thenest.com, oops. So I had to settle for using store bought icing because I was in a time crunch. Let me know if you want the icing recipe and I can add it to the post.


German Chocolate Cake:
Hershey's

Ingredients:
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2-1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
Pecan halves(optional)
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together cocoa and water in small bowl until smooth; set aside.
Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir together flour, baking soda and salt;
add to butter mixture alternately with chocolate mixture and buttermilk, beating just enough to blend.
Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
Cool completely.
Prepare cocconut icing (or use the premade stuff like I did); spread between layers and over top.
10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.

No comments: