Friday, February 13, 2009

Goat Cheese & Leek Cakes:


I wanted to make these after we had something similar at a restaurant in Savannah over New Years. The ones at the restaurant were better, the problem that I had with making these was that I used a tart white wine. These would be better using either Riesling or omitting the wine.

Goat Cheese & Leek Cakes:
Source: Emeril Lagasse


Ingredients:
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped leeks
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
Salt and pepper
1 pound goat cheese (I used 4 oz)
2 tablespoons white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc) (I highly recommend greatly reducing the amount of wine or omit it all together because it gave the cakes a very intense flavor)
1 cup flour (I used ½ c)
1 cup fine bread crumbs (I used ½ c)
2 eggs, beaten (I used 1 egg)

Directions:
1. In a saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil.
2. Add the leeks and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute 2 minutes.
3. Remove from the pan and turn into a mixing bowl.
4. Stir in the cheese and white wine.
5. Form the mixture into 4 (2-ounce) cakes.
6. Season the flour and bread crumbs with (original recipe did not specify but I used 2 tsp.) Bayou Blast
7. Dredge the cakes in the flour.
8. Dip the cakes in the beaten eggs, letting the excess drip off.
9. Dredge the cakes in the seasoned bread crumbs.
10. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
11. In a saute pan, heat the remaining olive oil. When the oil is hot, lay the cakes carefully in the oil.
12. Pan-fry the cakes for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
13. Remove from the oven and drain on paper-lined plate.
14. Season the cakes with Bayou Blast.

No comments: